Week 7: Pottery from the past “Surahi”, by Swati (FleurViolette)

I am still in love with vessels and containers, so you will all need to be patient with me and see various kinds of vessels cropping up here every now and then. Lol! This vessel is based on earthenware pots we used to have in India when I was a child….we stored water in them to keep the water cool. This kind of a pot was called “Surahi”. The chain is hand made too. The materials are copper wire which is painted with bronze and then enameled, and fresh water pearls. Nicole introduced me to this wire, and I am very much in love with it! The color and  finish of this wire add to the “old world” looks of this pot. It was much harder doing this kind of work with this wire, compared to fine silver. But I seriously like its looks, so even with the blisters, I shall make more pots with this wire.

To see more pictures of this piece, and to read more about it, go to my blog: http://fleurviolettejewelry.blogspot.com/2012/02/yoj-2012-week-7-pottery-from-past.html.

Posted in 2012 1st Quarter -wks 1-13, 2012 Week 07 | 24 Comments »

24 Comments

1. Abigail Abigail says:

Oh, man, that twining is just gorgeous! Don’t know how you get it so even and nice. Keep on making them; I’m sure not tired of them!

2. Thank you!! So glad you are not yet tired of it, because I am going to be doing this for a long long time. LOL!

3. pwhitlow pwhitlow says:

This is just beautiful. The wraps are so even, how do you do it? Tha chain and pearls is perfect for it.

4. That’s so sweet of you :-)). Thank you!! :-)) But the wraps are not that even really…if you look carefully, you’ll see many flaws.

5. bysalla says:

just DAMN! that is so awe inspiring. truly a work of art.

6. Thank you!! You made my day!!! :-))))

7. Nicole Hanna Nicole Hanna says:

After working with this wire, I can definitely appreciate the skill involved in making this. I’m working with raw bronze now, and it’s twice as hard as this wire, so you’re definitely better off working with this… plus it just looks super nice! lol

This makes me wanna learn basket weaving.

8. Nicole, that is why I decided against buying Phosphor Bronze wire…I thought I had a hard time with this one…there is no way I can do “pottery” with that one! LOL! At least not till this wire gets easy for me.

• Nicole Hanna Nicole Hanna says:

I’ve learned with the phosphor bronze to buy a gauge smaller than you think you’ll need. I had purchased 18, 20 and 28 gauge. The 18 I will reserve for bangles and tiaras, hair sticks, that kind of thing, since it’s WAY too difficult to use for anything else, and I’m kicking myself for not having purchased a 22 gauge instead of the 20, because that’s almost too hard for me to use. I’m getting spoiled with the silver filled wire. lol

9. Mya says:

WOW- this is an amazing pot! It is so beautiful and intricate and perfect that it knocks my socks of and brings a tear to my eye!

Where do you purchase this type of wire, if you don’t mind my asking?

10. Thank you Mya! What a sweet thing to say! :-)). I bought this wire from Etsy, from this store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UnkamenSupplies?ref=top_trail. I really liked the seller…very friendly and helpful. Nicole is lucky…she gets them at Michaels Craft store…her local Michaels carries this wire. Mine do not.

11. evasherman evasherman says:

Looks like it took hours to make, and I love the “old world” feel… :-)

12. Yes it did Eva…thank you! :-))

13. Gosh this is something you’ve designed! I feel as though I could walk to the river and fill it with water!

14. Thank you Deb! Your comment made me smile just imagining someone go fill water in that…because that is the vision I had in my mind too :-)).

15. Bebop Beads Bebop Beads says:

What a cool piece!

16. Wow Swati – that weave is so tight I think the pot could hold water!. The color makes it earthy and ‘real’, and the reference to your birthplace makes it more meaningful. Perfect!.

17. Thank you Cleo!! :-)) Yes, to me too it holds a special meaning because of those days when I used to pour water out of a surahi :-). Feels like it must have been another lifetime.

18. Bonstitches Bonstitches says:

If you see someone hanging around with her mouth open, that will be me – I’m absolutely awestruck by your weaving skills. The basket is so done in that wire, but I couldn’t have done it in a million years. To me, wire weaving is like herding cats anyway – it definitely has a mind of it’s own, but you’ve tamed it beautifully. I can’t wait to see your next basket!

19. I’m in awe, really. This is absolutely stunning!